Thursday, October 24, 2013

Do You Have Your Staples?




Well...no...
not that kind of staple,
your 
Kitchen Staples.








Just as this office staple holds you papers together, your Kitchen Staples is what will truly hold your kitchen and your foods together.

I since a big eyeroll coming on...

I thought I'd do a little post on the items I find to be a necessity in the kitchen. This will probably seem redundant to the avid cooks out there and may vary depending on your cooking styles  but after a few conversations at the breakroom table I learned that a lot of people really don't know what they are and really don't keep them on hand.
I have found keeping certain items on hand keeps me reassured I can put a warm satisfying meal on the table most anytime.

Here's a list of items that I  never prefer to be without:

1. Self-Rising Flour~ This is by far, my number one "must keep" it item. I can't tell you how
                                    many I have been able to pull a cooked meal together with not much
                                    more than 3 ingredients and usually this would be a key ingredient. 
2. Seasoning  ~~~~~  This would be my salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, onion salt.
                                    I generally  keep quite a few more but these are the ones I almost
                                    am never without.
3.Cooking Oil  ~~~~  I most always keep regular vegetable oil but I most likely have other
                                  oils in stock as well. Those being vegetable shortening and olive oil.
4.Sugar    ~~~~~~~    I always keep regular granulated. I try not to run out of brown and
                                    powdered sugar.
5.Self-Rising Corn Meal Mix~Corn bread, corn muffins, etc....it's a must.
6.Milk
7.Eggs
8.Peanut Butter ~~~ Anyone with children understands this one but also there's many
                                   recipes to be bettered-up with a dollop of peanut butter.
9.Cream of Chicken Soup~Whether it's a pot of soup, a casserole, or even poured
                                   over some meat. It comes in very handy.
10.Plain Flour ~~~~~ If the truly flaky pie crust is what I'm after; I'm going to want it.
                                   It's also good for breading or coating.
11.Mayonnaise ~~~ We like mayo in this house but I also have quite a few recipes
                                   I use it in, also (You'd never know it's there)
12.Loaf Bread
13.Saltine Crackers
14.Stock or Broth
15.Canned Tomatoes
16.Potatoes(a bag and a box of flakes)
17.Beans(canned or dried)
18.Rice
19.Spaghetti Sauce
20.Pasta Noodles

Well now you have it! My must haves.
I didn't list coffee and tea; I'm sure those two things are  understood.
                                    


No comments: