Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Grandma Dorothy's Sliced Apple Pie


My Grandma Dorothy loved what she called a sliced apple pie. This is the first pie I learned to make and I believe it is the perfect pie for young child or a beginning cook to start with. 
It is almost to simple to call a recipe.

I've got all these leftover apples I purchased for our apple bobbing so I''m going to start with washing and peeling my apples. 
If your apples are small, you may need about 10 apple; if they are large 6-8 apples.
I'm baking my pie in a 9 inch pie pan. You will want enough apple so that they are quite heaped up before you put you pie in the oven because your apples will bake down a lot.

Preheat oven 400 degrees

Ingredients:
8-12 apples 
1 pie shell uncooked
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
Cinnamon
All-spice

Directions:
1. I start by putting a bit(1/4 cup) of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon in the bottom of my pie shell.
Grandma Dorothy would put cinnamon sugar instead of regular cinnamon and all-spice. You can really use whatever you like.
2. Slice apples directly into pie shell. Thin discs is what you really want.

3. Drop dollops of butter all along with you sliced apples.
4. Sprinkle cinnamon and all-spice across top of apples.
5. Cover with brown sugar and dollops of butter.

6. Place in preheated oven for about 45 minutes. You'll know when it's right when your crust is golden and your pie is browned.

The pie looks a little dry on top but should be moist throughout. 
Best topped with vanilla ice cream.

No comments: