Friday, January 10, 2014

Hambone Stew~Crockpot Style


This cold & rainy day is just a callin' for soup.
There's a ham bone in the fridge that's still got a good bit of meat left on it. He seem like the perfect beginning for my stew for today.

Soup and Stew are basically the same thing. I call mine stew when it's loaded with meat and has been simmered to a thick creamy consistency. I generally prefer a stew in the cooler weather. Thinner soups I consider better on those warmer days.


Hambone Stew

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours 15 minues
Yields: 8 servings

Ingredients:
Ham or leftover ham bone~ I'll be cutting as much meat off the bone as possible. I like mine to be nice                                         bite size chunks. 
Potatoes~5-6
1 onion
1 Cup of Rice
1 can green beans~I use a short cut smaller bean. I don't want to see a soup full of green beans
2 cloves minced garlic
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
1 Teaspoon Ground Allspice

Directions:
1. Cut ham into bite-size chunks. Place chunks and ham bone into crockpot. Covering with water.

2. Turn  temperature to high.

3. Place remaining ingredients in pot.



4. Simmer 8 hours. Remove bone before serving. Salt to taste.

Do enjoy a bowl of Hambone Stew!





No comments: