This Turkey Dumpling Casserole Recipe is a delicious remedy for leftover turkey.
Turkey can be so under appreciated but it's as delicious as you choose and many times it is the forgotten meat. After the holiday's, many grocers will have deep markdowns on the excess turkey they have in stock, making it the frugal cook's choice.
* Prep Time is to indicate approximately and hour to stew the turkey off the bone and 30 minutes to prepare your dumpling's.
*Cook Time indicates the time casserole is baked in the oven.
Preheat oven at 400 degrees
Leftover Turkey on the Bone(you could substitute chicken or boneless turkey)
1 Can Chicken broth
16 ounce bag of frozen Peas & Carrots (2 cans of Peas & Carrots)
2 Cups Self-Rising Flour
1/3 Cup Shortening
1 Cup Milk
2 Teaspoons Pepper plus a dash for the top
1 Teaspoon Salt
1. Remove meat from bone.
2. Cover bone and meat with water in a large pot. Bring to a rolling boil for approximately 1 hour or until all the meat has fell off the bone.
While turkey is boiling prepare your dumplings.
3. Place 2 cups of flour in a large mixing bowl.
4. Cut-in shortening.
5. Make a well in flour.
6. Slowly add milk until flour will follow fork around bowl. You might not need the entire cup of milk. If you have left over milk save it to add to your dumpling mixture later.
7. Roll out dumplings and cut into small rectangles.
8. Remove turkey pot from heat and let cool. Remove bone and any skin or unappealing gristle from pot.
9. Return pot to heat bring back to a rolling boil.
10. Add broth, salt, pepper, peas and carrots. Also add any remaining milk but let milk come to room temperature and pour in slowly while stirring.
11. Add dumplings to pot a little at a time. I add about a row that I've cut out then gently push them down into mixture so they cook a little. When they float back to the top, I add another row until all my dumplings are in the pot.
12. Simmer at low to medium-low for 2 -3 minutes.
13. Pour into 9 x 13" casserole dish. Move dumplings around evenly in dish. Pepper top of casserole.
14. Bake 45 minutes.